The 18th meeting of the Forum was held on Friday, February 20th at 7:00 PM at the Atonement Free Lutheran Church in Arlington, WA. Paul Taylor, the new Director of the Mount St. Helens Creation Center, spoke on the topic “No Compromise.” A description of the lecture follows.
Today, people and churches, that identify themselves as Bible-believing evangelicals, have a number of views on Genesis, other than that of a literal six-day creation. We address such views as:
The Gap Theory – suggesting a time gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 (or sometimes before Genesis 1:1), allowing for millions of years, while still accepting a six-day (re)creation.
Progressive Creation – that God created objects and creatures progressively, over the alleged 14 billion years or so since the supposed Big Bang.
ANE-Tabernacle Models – a small variety of models, associated with the BioLogos Foundation, mostly suggesting that biblical writers were products of their time, and therefore unfamiliar with the scientific advances of the modern world. These models usually take a particular view on Ancient Near East philosophies and are used in conjunction with justifying a theistic evolutionary position.
The talk affirms the biblical position, of God creating everything in six literal 24-hour days and resting on the seventh, to be the correct position.
Paul Taylor was born and grew up near Manchester in the North of England. He studied piano at Chetham’s School of Music, but read Chemistry at the University of Nottingham. Paul taught Chemistry, Physics and Science in government (“public”) schools in England and Wales for 18 years, eventually becoming a Head of Science, with a Masters in Science Education and Management from the University of Cardiff.
Paul was saved at the age of 15. He came across creationist literature in his late teens, and quickly became involved in speaking and writing on the subject of creation and evolution, Genesis and apologetics. Since 2005, he has been a full-time creation speaker, having worked for Answers in Genesis (UK/Europe) and Creation Today. He and his wife are now the Directors of the Mount St Helens Creation Center. Paul is married to Geri, and they have five children between them.
The recordings of the lecture are available.
- Audio recording of lecture can be found here.
- Audio recording of Q&A after lecture can be found here.
Paul Taylor speaks at the following venues within the Greater Seattle area during the weekend of February 20-22, 2015:
- Friday, Feb. 20, 8:50 AM, Talk on “The Age of the Earth” at Highland Christian School in Arlington.
- Friday, Feb. 20, 10:35 AM, Talk on “The Age of the Earth” at Grace Academy School in Marysville.
- Friday, Feb. 20, 7:00 PM, Lecture on No Compromise at the AFSC meeting described above.
- Saturday, Feb. 21, 7:00 AM, Talk on “Mount St. Helens Creation Center” at Mens’ Breakfast meeting at First Baptist Church Arlington.
- Sunday, Feb. 22, 9:00 AM, Message on “Convinced By Creation” at Traditional Service at Park Ridge Community Church in Bothell.
- Sunday, Feb. 22, 10:30 AM, Message on “Creation or Evolution – Who Cares” at Contemporary Service at Park Ridge Community Church in Bothell.
- Sunday, Feb. 22, 6:00 PM, Message on “Creation or Evolution – Who Cares” at First Baptist Church Arlington.